Walnut Hills is an urban hilltop neighborhood just northeast of downtown. It is one of the city’s oldest neighborhoods and has been undergoing redevelopment for the last few years. Niche’s neighborhood guide gives it a B+ overall emphasizing its nightlife with an A+ rating. Niche also notes that it is in the top 25% of neighborhoods for young professionals and the top half of Cincinnati’s most diverse neighborhoods.
Walnut Hills is in the Cincinnati Public School system. It is home to Walnut Hills High School which is recognized as one of the top schools in the state of Ohio and even ranks nationally. The school system offers a School for Creative and Performing Arts, montessori, and a German language school. For more on public education in Walnut Hills, see Niche’s list.
Walnut Hills has easy access to downtown, Clifton, Hyde Park, and Oakley. But even closer than those are the Krohn Conservatory, Cincinnati Playhouse in the Park, Eden Park, the Cincinnati Art Museum, and The Video Archive.
- Gomez Salsa – A unique Mexican restaurant with craft cocktails, tacos, burritos, their signature Turtles.
- Caffe Vivace – Coffee house and jazz lounge in the heart of Walnut Hills.
- Fireside Pizza – A self-proclaimed, “American joint” featuring wood-fired pizzas and local beers on tap.
- Brew House – An American eatery with signature dishes like the Impossible Burger and the uniquely Cincinnatian Vegan Goetta.
- Giminetti Baking Company – A bakery with a cafe featuring breakfast and lunch dishes that feature their homemade baked goods.
- Just Q’in – More than just bbq! Just Q’in is a for-profit social enterprise that develops and trains individuals with barriers to employment… And people love their bbq!
- Parkside Cafe – Coffee, breakfast, and lunch. It gives the appearance of an old-fashioned diner and it has an extensive menu that will suit just about anyone.
- The Pickled Pig – One-of-a-kind smoked meats and fermented delights! The Pickled Pig has an innovative approach to sandwiches, soups, and salads!
Quick Facts for Renters:
Median Age: 37
Median Home Price: $123,953
Median Rent: $635
Average Commute to Downtown: 7 – 9 minutes