Mt. Washington lies just east of downtown Cincinnati and is near the Ohio River. Its Wikipedia page offers a brief history of the neighborhood. The Community Council site will tell you what is currently going on in the community. Next Door offers some crowdsourced information on the area, while Trulia has a demographic breakdown and other important data. Additional overview information is available on Street Advisor.
According to AreaVibes, Mt. Washington has higher average test scores than the city of Cincinnati and the state of Ohio. Mt. Washington Elementary (rated B+ on Niche) is a K-6 college prep magnet school that is part of Cincinnati Public Schools. For those interested in alternative education, Mt. Washington is home to Sands Montessori (rated 8 out 10 on Zillow). If you’re interested in religious education, Mt. Washington is home to Guardian Angels (K-8). Families with younger children may be interested in Mt. Washington Baptist Daycare and Preschool.
The community has much to offer in the way of recreation. Cincinnati’s 125 acre Stanbery Park ; it has hiking trails, picnic areas, a playground, and a World War 1 memorial. Laverty Park and Royal Oaks Park are also located in Mt. Washington. Withrow Nature Reserve “provides the perfect setting for a wedding, nature photography or just taking a nice day hike.” Mt. Washington Rec Center offers art, sports, and exercise opportunities and it is within walking distance of almost the entire community.
For food and entertainment, the neighborhood is vibrant and has a wide variety of options, including:
- Washington Creamy Whip & Bakery – Rated among the best creamy whips in Cincinnati by CincinnatiUSA.com and CityBeat.
- Water Tower Fine Wines – Local wine shop that offers weekly wine tastings.
- Eli’s BBQ – According to TripAdvisor, Eli’s is not only a top 5 BBQ, but top 5 for all restaurants in Cincinnati.
- Hitching Post – Known for its chicken, it ranks in Yelp’s Top 10 for Mt. Washington.
- Sky Galley – Cafe inside Historic Lunken Airport.
- Salem Gardens – Burger joint which makes Yelp’s Top 10 for Mt. Washington.
Quick Facts for Renters:
Median Age: 40
Median Home Price: $176,800
Median Rent: $767
Cost of Living: The cost of living in Mt. Washington is 6% greater than the Cincinnati average.
Average Commute to Downtown: 20-30 minutes